Rosemary Black Pepper Rolls
There is nothing like a well made dinner roll. A good dinner roll can be the star of any dinner meal. A really good dinner roll is remembered for years. My fondest memory of a good, no a wonderful dinner roll, goes clear back to grade school. The standard was set. You have to understand that in the day all the food was made from scratch including the dinner roll.
Mrs. Clarson was the head of the cafeteria in Show Low Arizona in the 70’s. That was where I went to grade school. She set the standard for me that I have never forgotten. Her rolls were so tender and soft and filled with melted butter. They just melted in our moths and we loved them. When they were on the lunch menu we were happy. She set the standard for me that I have lived by my entire life. If it is good roll, its a Mrs. Clarson roll.
Just a side note, after I was grown up and older I did go back to Show Low and visited this dear woman and thanked her for her rolls. She was thrilled. I am sure she had no clue the impact her sweet labor would have on my life.
So with that in mind I love this recipe. Mrs. Clarson would be proud of me and my rolls. This recipe for sure would be up to her standard of excellence. They are tender and with all the pepper and rosemary the flavor is over the top. Filled with melted butter they are perfection.
Please trust the recipe and add all the pepper and rosemary called for. It really makes them wonderful. Many have doubted until they tried them and now they are believers.
This recipe is a perfect recipe for any holiday, from Easter to Thanksgiving. Perfect for sopping up the gravy from the ham or roast or to be eaten with fried chicken.
Chef Brad-America’s Grain Guy
Rosemary Black Pepper Dinner Rolls
This is one of my personal best roll recipes I have ever made. Trust the recipe, the rolls are amazing.
- 2.5 cups warm milk
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cooked potato, peeled and mashed
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter plus 3 tablespoons for dipping dough into
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Chef Brad’s Rosemary Black Pepper Blend
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 cups fresh ground wheat flour
- 4 plus cups natural white flour
- 1 cup cooked pearled barley
- In mixer, place warm milk, potato, whipped eggs, butter, honey, salt, rosemary, pepper, pearled barley, and 2 cups flour fresh ground flour.
- Place yeast on top of flour and start mixer.
- Add Natural white flour until dough cleans sides of the bowl.
- Knead 6 minutes. Dough will be sticky. Dump out on oiled counter, fold together and let rise for 10 minutes covered.
- Divide into rolls and dip in butter and place on a jelly roll pan packed close together.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and brush with butter and let rise to double. Bake in a hot 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Be generous with your pepper and rosemary. It works.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.