Pressure Cooker Quinoa Potato Salad
Easter and Potato Salad goes hand in hand. When I was growing up we always had an easter picnic with potato salad and fried chicken. Nothing compares to a good potato salad warm or cold I love them all.
Over the years, I have made a lot of potato salads. Since I love grains, I have added them from time to time and love the texture and flavor they add, not to mention the nutrition. Quinoa is my favorite. If you are a visual person you can change the quinoa to fit your mood. From black and red quinoa that are really pretty to white that hides really well for those who might be fussy.
This recipe came to me one night as I was in bed pondering an upcoming class. I wanted a potato salad, but I didn’t want to do all the steps involved. Often times when I am teaching time is limited and I need to get it all done as quickly as possible. So as I was thinking about potato salad, mind you I was first considering red quinoa, I suddenly realized that small potatoes, red quinoa an eggs all cook the same amount of time in the pressure cooker. I was thrilled with this revelation. The next morning I literally jumped out of bed and placed quinoa, eggs, potatoes, and water in the pressure cooker and cooked it for 5 minutes.
It worked! The next thing that happened is that I took the recipe to a class and taught it, but realized that unlike home I had no time to chill it down. I served it warm. Wow I loved it. So this salad can be served warm or cold. Both ways are wonderful. Potato salads should be easy and this version is amazingly easy and absolutely wonderful.
When you do this recipe add the water and quinoa first and place the potatoes, small ones in with the eggs on top. If you are feeding a large group double the recipe, but not the cooking time and you will be fine.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Chef Brad-America’s Grain Guy
- 6 eggs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, red uncooked
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons dijon style mustard
- 1/2 cup pickle relish
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- *Chef Brad’s Favorite~
- 1 lb bacon chopped and pan fried to crispy, drained
- 2 cups mayo and 1 tablespoon mustard dijon style
- 1 bundle Green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place water, quinoa, cleaned potatoes, washed eggs, in pressure cooker and place lid on and pressure for 5 minutes. Natural release.
- Cool eggs, potatoes, and quinoa. Shell eggs and chop. Cut potatoes into desired size. Place all in a bowl and add remaining ingredients from either the traditional style or my favorite.
*I love the traditional style, but my favorite is with bacon, green onions, and smoked Spanish paprika.