Butternut Squash Soup
Many of you know my deep love and affection for pressure cookers. I cannot imagine life without having one. Actually without having a few. Life is just better with a good quality pressure cooker in the kitchen.
As in all things, pressure cookers are not all created equal. I have tried them all to be sure of the brand I love and recommend. And to be honest if I am going to recommend something it has to be quality and do just what I tell you it will do. I have upgraded over the years, and often times it is due to the product dropping in quality.
Many of you know for the past few years I have loved Fagor. Sometimes good things come to an end, and Fagor is no longer a company. But do not fear, Zavor has taken the front seat for Pressure Cookers in America. Before I would even begin to recommend a product I have to try it out and try it out and try it out again. Zavor has passed with flying colors. It has become my new favorite. I actually looked at a lot of pressure cookers, and this product comes in first place with me. It is heavy duty and so user friendly. I cannot say enough good about this cooker. I love how with my style of cooking in never burns and maintains its constant heat.
I will be posting many pressure cooker recipes in the coming months using this amazing pressure cooker. It can to anything from yogurt and bread puddings, to shredded beef and pasta dishes. There are no limits to what a pressure cooker like Zavor can and will do for you. Just to be honest, you might spend a few dollars more, but I promise you it is worth the extra few dollars to have a cooker that is durable and heavy duty and so easy to use. Zavor actually really improved on the Fagor product making it even better and sure to endure the rigors we put our pressure cooker through.
One of my favorite things to cook in the pressure cooker are soups. Be prepared for a long series of great soup recipes. Pressure cooking creates soups in minutes that are so tasty and easy to do that even the novice in the kitchen will appear a culinary genius.
Butternut squash is one of my favorites soups to make. In this recipe I substituted the cream for cashew cream. Cashew cream is a so easy with a pressure cooker and it makes the soups so creamy and lactose free if you want that. Even if you are not lactose free you will love the creamy texture and the nutrition that cashews add to the soup and the depth of flavor.
Enjoy this recipe and more to come with your hopefully new Zavor pressure cooker.
Americas Grain Guy and Pressure Cooker Guru
Cream of Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sprig of thyme, marjoram, and basil
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Dash cinnamon, ginger, and sweet paprika
- 1 cup of freeze dried Honeyville Sweet Corn for topping soup
- In pressure cooker, sauté onions, add garlic and herbs
- Sauté for a couple of minutes
- Add squash and stock
- Pressure for 6 minutes on high pressure
- Open pressure cooker and place ingredients in blender in batches and puree
- Place back in cooker and add cashew cream with with cinnamon, ginger, and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve topped with freeze dried sweet corn or fresh baked croutons
- 2 cup whole raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- In pressure cooker add cashews and water
- Pressure for six minutes on high
- Remove and drain off water
- Place cashews in a good blender and cover with water
- Blend until smooth adding a touch more water if too thick