Spinach Bacon Quinoa Quiche
I love a good quiche. It is a comfort food to me. In the cooler months, warm just out of the oven is a real treat. Chilled in the summer with a nice salad is also a wonderful refreshing way to enjoy quiche.
Quiche really can anything you want. Either just eggs and cheese or with any ingredients you can imagine. I love to change it up. Sometimes changing the cheese can really change the experience, feta or smoked cheeses are really great. Adding ham, sausages, or bacon makes for a really savory quiche.
I normally make two when I make quiche. They can freeze well and actually keep well in the refrigerator.
I normally add a grain to the quiche. Cooked grains like quinoa are easy to add to the mix. Smaller grains like teff, kaniwah, amaranth, or chia, can just be added with out cooking. They add texture and much needed fiber to the quiche.
Comfort foods are an important part of our culture. Comforts foods can bring back memories and experiences that might be forgotten. Sometimes just the smell or taste can flood the heart and mind with memories of past family and friends. Quiche is like that to me, it reminds me of relaxed happy times with family. It also brings back memories of travels and dining experiences. I love a good quiche and especially in the winter and fall. It not only warms the house, but it warms the heart as well.
Chef Brad~America’s Grain Guy
All Butter Crust for Sweet and Savory Pies (Pâte Brisée)
- 1.5 cups sifted fresh ground spelt flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1.5 cups Natural white flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very-cold, Frozen and ready to grate on food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 to 8 Tbsp ice water or chilled vodka
- In WonderMix bowl with whips, add flour, sugar, and salt and mix.
- Remove whips and add dough hook then add frozen grated butter and mix until just mixed. The butter should be pea size.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time. Pulse until it is just starts to pull together. Do not over mix. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to cool before rolling out.
Spinach Bacon Quinoa Quiche
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 2 Tablespoons WonderFlour
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 1lb. Bacon, chopped and fried, almost crispy
- 1 cup cooked red or black quinoa
- 3 teaspoons Chef Brad’s Salt and Pepper Blend
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or your choice
- 2 cups fresh spinach-you can blend the spinach with the eggs if you want or just add and stir in
- In your blender add the eggs, flour, and milk. Blend well.
- Pour in large bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Whisk all ingredients together and pour into two 9 inch pie shells
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes at 370°-bake until firm